Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing as surviving spouse

My husband passed last February.  Last year, TurboTax entered my filing status as Married Filing Jointly and signed the form as "Filing as surviving spouse."  This raised a Red Flag with the IRS and delayed my refund for 6 months!  This year TurboTax again selected my filing status as Married Filing Jointly and signed "Filing as surviving spouse" again.  Will this raise red flags again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Filing as surviving spouse

If your spouse passed away in February 2023 and you filed your 2022 tax return after the date of death, filing a joint return and signing as surviving spouse is the proper way to file that return.  Your spouse was alive during 2022, but was not able to sign the 2022 tax return.  Perhaps the red flag was generated by filing the return before the IRS records were updated showing your spouse had passed away, but that is just a guess.

For the 2023 tax return, you are in the same situation unless you have remarried during 2023.  You can file a joint return for 2023 and the return will be signed as 'filing as surviving spouse'.  It is possible that the IRS will examine the situation again, but there is no way to predict that.  Just know that you are not doing anything that should raise a red flag based on the information that you shared.

To learn more, see the following TurboTax help article:

How should I file my return if my spouse recently died?

My condolences for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies