Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing as a dependent without parents tax information on 8615

I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere else, but I am absolutely desperate for some help here.

I'm a college student and recently had to cut contact with my parents because of many reasons. I am now responsible for paying my way through and doing everything by myself. When I'm not on campus, I'm living with my adult sister.

I'm filing for my federal aid as a provisional independent because, as the FAFSA states, contacting my parents would put me in a threatening situation. Thus, I have no idea how to fill out the 8615 part of my taxes when I don't have my parents information nor can I contact them, especially since I was technically a dependent for the year 2023. Is there anyway I can bypass these questions regarding their information, income, SSN, etc? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I've thought of emancipation, but I'm already 18, almost 19, so I am legally emancipated. If anyone needs the info, I legally live in RI but go to college in MA. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Let’s explore whether you qualified as a dependent of your parents in 2023. If you lived more nights with your older sister she can claim you. If you provided more than half of your own support during the year no one can claim you. 

Sadly, this cut off is pretty recent so I think they definitely still have the right to claim me as a dependent. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Whether or not you can be claimed as a dependent by your parents, your sister, or anyone else has nothing to do with whether you have to file Form 8615. Being a dependent is not one of the conditions that determine whether you have to file it. Plenty of people who are not dependents have to file it. And being emancipated has nothing to do with whether you have to file Form 8615. Plenty of students who are beyond the age of emancipation still have to file it.

The IRS has a procedure to get your parents' tax information from the IRS if you cannot get it from your parents. See "Parent's return information unavailable" on page 2 of the IRS Instructions for Form 8615. Here's what it says.

Parent's return information unavailable. If a child can't get the required information about their parent's tax return, the child (or the child's legal representative) can request the necessary information from the IRS.
How to request. After the end of the tax year, send a signed, written request for the information to the Internal Revenue Service Center where the parent's return will be filed. (The IRS can't process a request received before the end of the tax year.)
The request must contain all of the following.

• A statement that you are making the request to comply with section 1(g) of the Internal Revenue Code and that you have tried to get the information from the parent.
  • Proof of the child's age (for example, a copy of the child's birth certificate).
  • Evidence the child has more than $2,500 of unearned income (for example, a copy of the child's prior year tax return or copies of Forms 1099 for the current year).
  • The name, address, social security number (SSN) (if known), and filing status (if known) of the parent whose information is to be shown on Form 8615.

A child's legal representative making the request should include a copy of their Power of Attorney, such as Form 2848, or proof of legal guardianship.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies