Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing a W2 form with tax withholdings but no wage income

I am a graduate student who had federal and state taxes withheld from my fellowship income. My university has issued me a W-2 form that shows only the withheld amounts, with zero wage income reported. I intend to report my fellowship income on line 8r of my federal return. How can I include the withheld tax amounts on my return? If I input the W2 with no wage income, it doesn't allow me to e-file. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Filing a W2 form with tax withholdings but no wage income

Correct, you can't Efile with a W-2 with no amount in Box 1.  You do have options for reporting, though. 

You could report your fellowship income in Box 1 of your W-2 entry, and you should have no problem Efiling.

Just keep the documentation you have of what you were paid to justify the Box 1 amount. 

However, if you do have Education Expenses that were offset by the fellowship income, enter the expenses and fellowship as scholarship in the Education Section.  Any excess fellowship income will automatically be transferred to Form 1040 as taxable scholarship income.

If that applies, you can enter the taxes you paid reported on the W-2 under Deductions & Credits > Estimates and Other Taxes Paid > Other Income Taxes Paid in 2023 > Withholding not already entered on a W-2. 

Or, you can enter your total income under 8r as you suggested, and report taxes paid as mentioned above.  In both these instances, you're not entering the W-2. 

Here's more info on Reporting Internship Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies