Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtoms3216

Filing a superseding return for Tax Year 2023 electronically in TurboTax before the April 15 deadline without doing an amended return

How to do this:

Filing a superseding return for Tax Year 2023 electronically in TurboTax before the April 15 deadline without doing an amended return. I efiled last night and want to to do the superseding filing before the deadline today.

Please don't waste my time and send me to this useless link - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-taxpayers-now-have-more-options-to-correct-amend-returns-electronic...

I am actually looking to do an electronic superseding filing today before the deadline, not interested in the theory that the above link talks about. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Filing a superseding return for Tax Year 2023 electronically in TurboTax before the April 15 deadline without doing an amended return

Unfortunately, the only way to prepare a superseded return within TurboTax would be to make the changes, print your tax return, write in superseded at the top of Form 1040, and mail it in.  Since the deadline was 4/15 and you already submitted your original tax return by the due date, your only option would be to amend the return to make the changes.  

If you were able to electronically file your tax return successfully, you will be able to amend and electronically file your amended return (even though you were hoping to avoid that).  You will need to wait to prepare the amended return until your original tax return is filed and accepted.

Please see this link for guidance on how to amend your return within TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies