Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krug
Level 1

filing a NY State extension appears to be impossible

I spent and hour being taken down endless streams of questions, but it was simply impossible to file a  NY state tax extension like I filed the IRS extension.

I finally filed it directly with NY state.   I am retired and have always used an accountant, this is my last year with this mess, just to save $1500.  Not worth it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ee-ea
Level 15

You must file a New York state extension (Form IT-370-PF) by April 18. You can e-file or print and mail your extension via TurboTax. We'll ask you if you want to extend when you start your state taxes.

The state of New York won't accept a copy of federal Form 4868 in place of Form IT-370-PF.

The extension gives you until October 15 to file. If you owe, submit payment by April 18 to avoid penalties and interest, either by paying with your extension or by going to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it370pf_fill_in.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

You must file a New York state extension (Form IT-370-PF) by April 18. You can e-file or print and mail your extension via TurboTax. We'll ask you if you want to extend when you start your state taxes.

The state of New York won't accept a copy of federal Form 4868 in place of Form IT-370-PF.

The extension gives you until October 15 to file. If you owe, submit payment by April 18 to avoid penalties and interest, either by paying with your extension or by going to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it370pf_fill_in.pdf

krug
Level 1

OMG, if I was going to start my NY taxes I would not be asking for an extension. LOL 

And yes -- normally my accountant would make a suggestion as to what my tax liability would be, and I would pay to avoid penalties.   But of course this is outside of what I would expect on Turbotax, what I expected is a menu item that said "ask for an extension."  I know "simple" is tough when a programmer thinks people are stupid.   25 years of designing database UX left me knowing a UX mess when I see one. 

I finally did it myself outside of Turbotax.

But yes you confirmed my suspicions of why I could not find how to submit and extension, and I thank you.

I am unable to figure out how to file the extension.  TT keeps trying to file the actual NYS return.  Then is says it can't do that since I have not yet files my Federal Return.  I filed for a Fed extension by printing the extension form and writing a check.  (Because I also could not figure out how to file an extension in TT electronically.). Now I am trying to file an extension for NY and am as equally frustrated as the OP even though I have completed 95% of both returns and have a good solid estimate of the Tax Due amount for both Fed and NY.  Ugh!

Please help.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies