turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing 2023 taxes with TurboTax/Form 843

Hello! When I filed my taxes with you for the year 2023, I had worked for Tuesday Morning, which had filed for bankruptcy and closed. I immediately found a job with Walgreens and filed taxes for that year including both employers. My question is this: While I was filing, a notice came up on my page suggesting that Tuesday Morning overtaxed me on my FICA/Social Security and that I could file a Form 843. I have had this form for months! Tuesday Morning is now an online store. How should I approach this? I haven't forgotten about the advice, but I'm not sure the company is in the same hands. Would I gather the info of my FICA/ SS taxes that were taken out and report an explanation on a separate sheet along with my W2 for 2023 for line 7 on Form 843? Will the IRS be responsible for the inquiry or would Turbo Tax step in, as well? I did get the heads up while filing with you! Also, is there a deadline for a 2023 tax year amendment?

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,  Jamie Sowards

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Filing 2023 taxes with TurboTax/Form 843

Turbotax does not do form 843 and thus offers no help other than pointing out the over-withholding

how much over/is it worth it?

don't know if the online TM is the same employer as the one that you worked for and issued your w-2.

strongly doubt it from reading this:

"Off-price home décor retailer Tuesday Morning has been acquired by Hilco Merchant Resources for $32M in a court-approved bankruptcy sale—over the objection of a global management firm that argued it was prepared to finance Tuesday Morning's continued operations.

Judge Edward Morris of the Fort Worth division of the US Bankruptcy Court for the Northern Division of Texas overruled an objection from Invictus Global Management, which said in a filing it had committed $51.5M to support Dallas-based Tuesday Morning during its bankruptcy, RetailDive reported."

however, because of IRS requirements as to a statement to support the refund you should see if you can contact the business to make sure. after all your signature is under penalties of perjury. 

If you cannot obtain a statement from the employer, you
should attach a statement with the same information to the best 

of your knowledge and belief and include in the statement an
explanation of why you could not obtain a statement from the
employer. Attach a copy of your Form W-2 to prove the amount
of social security, Medicare, or RRTA tax withheld.

the maximum social security wage base for 2023 was $ 160,200 with the social security tax rate at 6.2% the max that would have been taken out is 9932.40

there is no maximum wage base for Medicare. the rate is 1.45%

if you filed an extension for 2023 you have until 10/15/2027 to file the 843

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies