turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed itemized 2022 taxes late in 2024. Late payment (Federal) and received refund (California) in 2024. How to file 1099-G?

[ Background ]

We moved from CA to FL in the middle of 2022

We submitted our itemized 2022 taxes in 2024 (TurboTax Deluxe). It was filed late.

Paid Federal taxes due in 2024

Received CA State Refund for $2000 in 2024 (Received in 2024 since it was filed late)

[ Question ]

In TurboTax Deluxe 2023, do we still put the $2000 refund for our 2023 taxes even though we actually received the refund in 2024 or set it to $0 and put $2000 in for next year's 2024 Taxes?

These are the fields available when editing the CA refund:

State or Locality: California

Total Refund Received in 2023: 2,000

Total of all your payments and withholding: 4,500

Tax Year of Refund (usually 2022): 2022

I have a feeling I should

1. Set Total Refund Received in 2023 to $0

2. In next year's filing, set:

- Total Refund Received in 2024: $2000

- Tax Year of Refund: 2022

A bit worried I will forget to remember putting it in for next year's taxes. Will TurboTax remind me I didn't apply the credits yet in next year's filing? (This is assuming I should set it to $0 this year and $2000 next year)

Note: I rounded the dollar amounts to make it easier to understand.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Filed itemized 2022 taxes late in 2024. Late payment (Federal) and received refund (California) in 2024. How to file 1099-G?

You are correct. If you received the state refund in 2024 you will report it on your 2024 federal tax return. If you did not receive any state refund in 2023, you don't report anything on your 2023 tax return. You should just delete the refund from TurboTax altogether. Entering zero might cause some some odd behavior in TurboTax.

TurboTax will not remind you about the refund next year. Make yourself a note where you will see it next year. If you have a smart phone maybe there's a way you can set a reminder that will come up next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies