Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File now and amend? Or file an extension and let the IRS keep the $$ through October?

I overpaid my taxes this year and expect to have a large sum (for me) refunded to me. I have two K-1's that I do not expect to receive until September. (Those K-1's will most likely signify a loss, though one did give a cash dispersement, so they are largely irrelevant to my taxable income to the year, and will not increase it.)

I would like to have access to the refund now, instead of waiting until I get the K-1's in September/October and filing then.

Can I, legally and legitimately, file my taxes now, knowing that I have two K-1's coming and will have to amend later? Or, must I file an extension and wait until I have all my forms?

If I can do the federal, what about the state of Virginia?

And, if it is legal to do, am I opening myself up to any audit risk by doing this?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

File now and amend? Or file an extension and let the IRS keep the $$ through October?

It is perfectly legal to file now and amend if necessary.  After all, you do not have the information available.  Also, since you know that the K-1s will, most likely, not affect your taxes, I suggest that you go ahead and file.

This, most likely, will not open you up for audits because, you said the K-1s are de minimus.  

You can file both the state and the federal and if necessary TurboTax allows you to amend for Free.

@SJW1974

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can file now for state and federal, then amend anytime within next three years after April 18.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

It is perfectly legal to file now and amend if necessary.  After all, you do not have the information available.  Also, since you know that the K-1s will, most likely, not affect your taxes, I suggest that you go ahead and file.

This, most likely, will not open you up for audits because, you said the K-1s are de minimus.  

You can file both the state and the federal and if necessary TurboTax allows you to amend for Free.

@SJW1974

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies