Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File Deceased (died in 2022) Father's Taxes for 2023

My father's estate is still in probate. He passed in 2022. I filed for him last year (using TT Home and Business) and had no issues. I'm trying to do it again this year. But it wants a date of death in 2023 and won't accept the date from 2022. I am assuming I still have to file as the estate is still collecting on investments and we sold his home in 2023. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If your father passed in 2022, then you would have filed his final individual tax return in 2022.  Anything that is earned and reportable by him until his date of death would have been reported on his 2022 individual income tax return.

Anything earned after his date of death would be reported on a trust or estate return on Form 1041.  Typically, you would need to obtain an Employer Identification number for the trust/estate and file the income on the trust tax return.  Depending upon the type of trust, you may also be required to issue Schedule K-1 forms to the beneficiaries of the trust.   If you're unsure, please see this link for more details on the types of trusts that exist as well as the filing requirements for those trusts.

Please see this link for additional details on what forms you may need to file for your father's estate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for you help. There is no trust. There was only a will and I was selected as executor. There is an investment account that earned some dividends in 2023, but lost money overall. And we sold his home in 2023. But that is about the extent of his holdings and earnings.

Can I use online software or Turbotax to file this 1041?

Also, I do have an EIN. Everything should hopefully be mostly settled in May at the next court date.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can file Form 1041 using the TurboTax Business Desktop software.  Please see this link to download the software.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you anyways.

I'll just get a preparer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies