Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Yeto
Returning Member

Fidelity consolidated 1099-DIV foreign income and taxes

Apologies upfront that this is more of a Fidelity question than a TurboTax question, but since I'm using TurboTax, and Fidelity wasn't able to answer this question, I'm turning to the experts here. On my consolidated 1099 statement for tax year 2020, the page labeled "Details of 1099-DIV Transactions" shows a Total Ordinary Dividends of $104.29 and Foreign Tax Paid of $3.07. This is for an ETF investment that I own. However, later in the same Fidelity account statement, the page labeled "Foreign Income Taxes and Summary" shows Nonqualified Dividends of $96.31, along with the same Foreign Tax Paid dollar figure. I've combined the two screenshots into one image for simplicity. I'm struggling to figure out the relationship between the $104.29 and the $96.31 figures. When I imported the Fidelity information into TurboTax, it only pulled the 3 numbers from the 1099-DIV Transactions page -- the Total Ordinary Dividends of $104.29, the Qualified Dividends of $41.83 and the Foreign Tax Paid of $3.07. The Total Foreign Income of $96.31 doesn't show up anywhere. My assumption (or hope) is that that amount is simply a SUBSET of the $104.29 total, and therefore, the 3 amounts that were originally imported into TurboTax will suffice for tax purposes. However, if that is NOT true (i.e., the Total Foreign Income is IN ADDITION TO the amount already imported into TurboTax), I'm at a loss for how and where to reflect that in TurboTax. Surely I'm not the only one who's had this question. Can anyone shed some light here? Thanks 🙂Clipboard.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The 3 amounts imported from the 1099-DIV are all you need to report. The foreign income and tax summary is just for your information. Later in the program you may be asked about foreign tax withheld and will want to know the foreign income amount. 

The 1099-DIV the info in box 1a  and box 1b is viewed as worldwide until shown otherwise.

In the info for foreign income, “nonqualified” is that part of box 1a that is foreign sourced. “Qualified” is that part of box 1b that is foreign sourced.  Since it is zero that means the amount in box 1b is all domestic and the total foreign income is unqualified.

Yeto
Returning Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I THINK I'm following what you're saying.  So in my case, you're saying that nearly all of the dividends in box 1a are foreign sourced (roughly 96 divided by 104). But I'm getting tripped up by the math here. If $96.31 is nonqualified, and the TOTAL dividends are only slightly more than that at $104.29, then how can the qualified dividends (as shown in box 1b) be $41.83. Something doesn't add up, literally. What am I missing? Thanks for your patience with the follow-on question, by the way. Take care.

Yeto
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. I like simple. Simple is good. I think I will go with the "three number" solution as you suggest, which is consistent with how the data was imported into TT in the first place. I just wish it was clearer HOW the numbers add up to get to that total of $104.29. Yes, I can see that the non-qualified dividends of $62.46 added to the qualified dividends of $41.83 equals that total. But, in the foreign income section, there is listed $96.31 of non-qualified dividends, so how can that be true if the qualified dividends are $41.83 as shown in block 1b. Just doesn't add up. Or somehow I'm mixing apples and oranges without realizing it. Anyway, thanks again for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies