Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

_helloworld
Returning Member

Federal payment deadline for taxpayers in disaster affected counties

Hi, 

So it seems IRS extended the deadline for federal tax returns to Oct 16th 2023 for disaster affected california counties https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-may-15-tax-deadline-extended-to-oct-16-for-disaster-area-taxpayers-...

I wanted to check if I am still expected to make a federal payment if I owed taxes by April 18, 2023 to avoid any late payment penalties. Does the extension only apply for filing the return or payment of owed taxes too?

Thank you in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ee-ea
Level 15

Federal payment deadline for taxpayers in disaster affected counties

The first extension said  "The tax relief postpones various tax filing and payment deadlines that occurred starting on January 8, 2023. As a result, affected individuals and businesses will have until May 15, 2023, to file returns and pay any taxes that were originally due during this period."  https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-california-storm-victims-qualify-for-tax-relief-april-18-deadline-o...

The second kicked the can down the road by saying   " Disaster-area taxpayers in most of California and parts of Alabama and Georgia now have until Oct. 16, 2023, to file various federal individual and business tax returns and make tax payments, the Internal Revenue Service announced today. Previously, the deadline had been postponed to May 15 for these areas."

Pay Oct 16.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies