Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

808hehiau

Federal civil servant Hawai’i COLA

I am Federal Civil Servant in Hawaii and I receive COLA.

Turbotax 2023 has a section in deductions, Other Income Taxes Paid in 2023, Deductions for Federal Employees in Hawaii. It asks, “Fill in the non taxable cost of living allowance (COLA) you received as a Federal Employee in 2023 that you paid Hawai’i Income Tax on?”

My COLA is part of my gross pay and Hawai’i state taxes are taken out of each paycheck before I revive my net pay.

So do I put the entire amount of COLA that I received in 2023?

This would be line 14 on my W-2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Federal civil servant Hawai’i COLA

Your COLA comes into play twice on your state return. You need to check your W2 against the directions. HI 2023 tax forms state:

Line 8 Difference Between State and Federal Wages 

If the amount in Form W-2, Box 16 (State wages) is larger than Form W-2, Box 1 (Federal wages), subtract the federal wages from the state wages and enter the difference here. If you receive more than one Form W-2, add the differences from all of the forms. For example, federal employees getting Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) or Living Quarter Allowance (LQA) may see a difference that must be reported here. If you received COLA or LQA and do not see a difference between state and federal wages, enter the amount of COLA or LQA reported on your Form W-2. State or County employees who are in the contributory or hybrid plan of the Employees Retirement System also will see a difference that must be reported here.

Line 21b Taxes

If you are a federal employee receiving a Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA), not all of your Hawaii income taxes are deductible for federal purposes. See IRS Revenue Ruling 74-140, 1974-1 C.B. 50, for more information. Enter on line 5a of Worksheet A-2 on page 32 the entire amount of state and local income taxes you paid in 2023, even if you reported a different amount on federal Form 1040, Schedule A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies