Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FBAR question

I have a foreign bank account and a share in a foreign property I received by inheritance.  It was a distribution from an individual (my late mother)  and not from a trust.  I understand I have to file an FBAR form here: https://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/main.html

But when I go there, I see BSA e-filing and BOI e-filing. Which one do I use?  Do I also need form 8938?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

FBAR question

You would use the BSA e-filing option as the BOI filing is for beneficial ownership of a company. You would need the Form 8938 if you are required to file a Form 1040, personal federal income tax return, and you owned foreign assets that were worth more than $50,000 on the last day of the year and more than $75,000 at any time during the year, assuming you are a US citizen.  There are other thresholds if you are not a US Citizen. You should double those amounts if you are filing as married-joint. You can learn more here:  Form 8938 instructions

Also, if you are the owner of all or a portion of a foreign trust with a value over $100,000, you may need to file Form 3520, as per the following from the instructions to that form:  Form 3520 instructions 

There is a penalty of up to $10,000 for not filing Form 3520 in a timely manner.

[Edited 3/7/24 at 5:09 PM PST] @vrflash

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

FBAR question

You would use the BSA e-filing option as the BOI filing is for beneficial ownership of a company. You would need the Form 8938 if you are required to file a Form 1040, personal federal income tax return, and you owned foreign assets that were worth more than $50,000 on the last day of the year and more than $75,000 at any time during the year, assuming you are a US citizen.  There are other thresholds if you are not a US Citizen. You should double those amounts if you are filing as married-joint. You can learn more here:  Form 8938 instructions

Also, if you are the owner of all or a portion of a foreign trust with a value over $100,000, you may need to file Form 3520, as per the following from the instructions to that form:  Form 3520 instructions 

There is a penalty of up to $10,000 for not filing Form 3520 in a timely manner.

[Edited 3/7/24 at 5:09 PM PST] @vrflash

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

FBAR question

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies