Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kara77777
Returning Member

F1040-516 - If Form 1040

I got the email that my return was rejected because "'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return filed for the same tax year." When I click through to fix it the website skips past skipping my federal return to the state return, which was rejected due to the federals rejection. My question is really dumb but I just can't find it, where to change the selection so that it knows another person has claimed me as a dependent. I tried going through every step of the federal return but I couldn't find it. I need the answer to be as specific as possible so I can find the correct place.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
kara77777
Returning Member

F1040-516 - If Form 1040

That post does not tell me where to find the option I need to change, because my social security number is correct. I just need to make that I'm being claimed as a depending by someone else.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

F1040-516 - If Form 1040

You can change this in the interview section of the return.  If you’re filing your own taxes, but could be claimed as a dependent on another person’s return (your parent or caregiver, for example), you have to indicate this on your tax return–even if they’re not claiming you.

Here’s how to modify your personal information if you have not selected the dependency data initially:

Note: If your TurboTax navigation looks different from what’s described here, learn more.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax, if you haven’t already.
  2. Select My Info from the side menu.
  3. Select Edit next to your name.
  4. On Your personal info, scroll down and answer Yes to Someone else can claim me as a dependent.
  5. Depending on your situation, answer either Yes or No to And this person will claim me on their 2023 tax return, then Continue.
    • If you answered No, you should now see Can be claimed by someone else beneath your name on your Personal info summary.
    • If you answered Yes, you should now see both Can be claimed by someone else and Claimed by someone else beneath your name on your Personal info summary.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kara77777
Returning Member

F1040-516 - If Form 1040

Thank you I didn't see that part sorry

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies