Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

F-1 Student Qualifying as Resident for Tax Purposes

Hi, 

I am a Canadian citizen who has been in the United States since August 2016, pursuing graduate studies. My status is F-1 currently. I am trying to determine if qualify as resident for tax purposes. I normally use Sprintax to file as I was previously a nonresident alien but when I entered all of my US entry and exit dates into Sprintax I was told that I am no longer a nonresident for tax purposes. Mainly what I am confused about is whether I need to file under a dual status for 2021 or if I need to file as a resident. I am also confused about the exempt status and how to calculate the amount of time for substantial presence test. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

You will be considered a resident for all of 2021 and will file a regular Form 1040.

F-1 visa holders are not considered residents until their 6th calendar year in the United States.  At that point, the Substantial Presence Test would need to be met to be considered a resident.

You were exempt for the years 2016-2021 and met the Substantial Presence Test in 2021 (all days in 2021 counted and you were 183 days in the US). If you meet the substantial Presence Test for a calendar year, your residency starting date is generally the first day you are present in the United States during that calendar year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

You will be considered a resident for all of 2021 and will file a regular Form 1040.

F-1 visa holders are not considered residents until their 6th calendar year in the United States.  At that point, the Substantial Presence Test would need to be met to be considered a resident.

You were exempt for the years 2016-2021 and met the Substantial Presence Test in 2021 (all days in 2021 counted and you were 183 days in the US). If you meet the substantial Presence Test for a calendar year, your residency starting date is generally the first day you are present in the United States during that calendar year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your help! That makes sense. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies