Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

extension

If I made estimated payment for my 2021 federal tax on IRS website. Do I still need to file Form 4868 for the extension? 

Also, if I owe tax in both CA and NY states, do I need to separately file extension to those states?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

extension

If I made estimated payment for my 2021 federal tax on IRS website. Do I still need to file Form 4868 for the extension?  Yes if you are unsure you are getting a refund.

I owe tax in both CA and NY states, do I need to separately file extension to those states?

Yes you do.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/extensions/help/do-i-need-to-file-a-state-extension-if-so-how-do-i...

extension

I saw below from IRS website. So I assume if I paid the estimated tax, I don't need to file the 4868. Please advice. 

Get an extension when you make a payment

You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies