Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpopkincpa
Returning Member

extension to pay taxes

I have already filed my taxes with payment scheduled for April 15th.  If there is a 90 day extension to make a payment for 2019 tax balance, how do I change the payment date if the return has already been filed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

extension to pay taxes

If you’ve already filed your federal taxes with TurboTax

You can’t change your payment date in TurboTax after your return has been accepted but you can cancel it and make other payment arrangements with the IRS.

Federal tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 2 business days prior to the debit date. To cancel, call the IRS on (888) 353-4537, but please wait 7-10 days after your return has been accepted.

State taxes

For your state direct debit payment, contact your state directly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

extension to pay taxes

I filed exactly 7 days ago, and it was easy to cancel the  authorized electronic payment by calling the number you listed above.   Things changed for us when the Covid 19 crisis response hit the economy and we want to take advantage of the extra time granted to tax payers to make their payments.   The woman who served me was very polite and thorough and even asked me to repeat the confirmation number for the cancellation, and instructed me to hold on to it for my records.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies