Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bonnie20
Returning Member

Expired options

Doesn't appear that my question is answered. I have options that have expired with a 0 cost basis. However, there are short term proceeds listed.  If I choose Expired there is no place to list the proceeds. Do I just list as a short-term sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Expired options

Yes, choose short term as the holding period.  When you enter your options you can select they type of investment and the holding period as well as selection 'Something other than a date' to use 'Various' has the date acquired.

• Call options allow contract holders to buy assets at an agreed-upon price at a later date.
  • Put options are financial contracts that let traders sell assets at a specific price by a certain date.
  • Traders must decide whether to sell, exercise, or let their options expire as they get closer to the expiration date.

Go to the investment sales in question and make the necessary entries for holding period and acquired.

1. Search (upper right) for 1099b > Click the Jump to... Link > Edit next to the sale in question > make your changes
  2. Continue to the screen 'Review this .... Sale'
  3. Enter the Sales selection/holding period, Type Options, Description and then Something other than a date to select Various (unless you have the specific purchase date).
  4. Continue to finish the sale.
  5. See the screen image below based on which TurboTax version you are using

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Expired options

Here is the discussion I had started about the same topic,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/needs-review-help-for-expired-put-options/00/3298...

Still there is a no clear answer. I was on call with a customer representative about this issue and after showing her how expired PUT options work and how they are displayed in the deskstop version of turbotax software, she was also confused and the finally it was decided to select short as a option (instead of expired) so that proceeds don't disappear and the information matches with 1099-B, I am not completely convinced with this answer but at this moment I don't see any other solution for this issue. Let me know if you find something.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies