Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Excess IRA Contribution 2018 – Can I apply this to 2019 contribution and not file 2018 amended return?

@fanfare wrote:

OK I'll take your word for it.

Separately

"but did remove the excess as required to stop the 2019 6% penalty, therefore, since the penalty was paid, any earnings can remain in the IRA."

There was a big discussion on this point a few years ago. As I recall

the upshot was the earnings *cannot* remain in the IRA (it was Roth not Traditional if that makes any difference), 

I'm glad to hear now that I must be mis-remembering  the conclusions reached in that thread (which has been deleted).

The IRS says:

Excess Contributions Withdrawn by Due Date of Return

You won’t have to pay the 6% tax if you withdraw an excess contribution made during a tax year and you also withdraw any interest or other income earned on the excess contribution. You must complete your withdrawal by the date your tax return for that year is due, including extensions.

If the "and you also withdraw any interest or other income earned on the excess contribution." condition is not met then the 6% penalty applies to that tax year.   To avoid future 6% penalty the contribution must still be removed.

The only difference in  removing it with the earnings (as a return of contribution) or as a normal distribution is whether only the earnings are taxed,  or the entire excess amount is taxed at 6% (actually an excise tax).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
TrishaM
Returning Member

Excess IRA Contribution 2018 – Can I apply this to 2019 contribution and not file 2018 amended return?

Ow, wow. Thanks for the input, I'm finally wrapping my brain around this. I took out more than enough in a distribution, and I paid a 6% penalty (a whopping $52) on my 2018 return, so I'm covered both ways. Overkill, maybe, but at least it's resolved. I'll just zero out the $864 excess on my 2019 return and call it a day. Thank you all!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies