Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajaychhawacharia
Returning Member

excess hsa contribution and removed

I had excess HSA contribution for year 2022. I realized this in March 2023 before tax filing for year 2022 and requested distribution of excess along with earnings and all was done. So all good so far. I did not get corrected 1099-SA. When i filed for my 2022 taxes in April 2023, I already included this excess contribution and its earnings and distribution in same tax year. So was just charged some dollars tax on the earnings portion. I did not have HSA in 2023 so no new contribution. Now in 2024, i received the 1099-SA for 2023 which shows the excess contribution as distribution in box 1 and earning from this in box 2 (which i already reported in my 2022 tax returns). Do I now ignore this 1099-SA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

excess hsa contribution and removed

"When i filed for my 2022 taxes in April 2023, I already included this excess contribution and its earnings and distribution in same tax year."

How did you do this? It is normally done by entering the 1099-SA with the distribution code of '2'.

Now you have a problem. You received a tax form, but if you entered the information on it correctly in a previous year, then you don't want to enter it again, but the IRS computers may notice that you did not include the 1099-S (remember that the IRS gets copies of most forms).

Well, I would document what you did previously about entering the earnings in 2022? 2023?, then not enter the 1099-SA on the current return, because that would just cause earnings to be added to your income again.

But you may have to be ready to explain it in case the IRS ever writes you a letter about this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies