Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chaitanb

EV Tax credit with a co-owner

I am planning to buy a Tesla Model Y in January 2024. I live in PA and I do not qualify for EV rebate due to income limits. However, my dad who lives in VA does qualify based on income limit. I am going with the assumption that the new law starting Jan-2024 allows us to take instant EV discount at the dealership based on income limit. I came up with a few possible scenarios to claim the EV discount. Would really appreciate if the experts here can throw some light on it.

Scenario 1 - My dad gets the vehicle in VA (he holds a driver's license in VA) and I pay for it through my financing, registers it in VA and then we both go to a PA DMV for him to transfer/give it to me as a gift.

Scenario 2 - My dad gets the vehicle in VA (he holds a driver's license in VA) and I pay for it through my financing, registers it in VA and then leases it to me. Not sure how this works since I live in PA.

Scenario 3 - I pay for the car, me and my Dad both get added as co-owners on title. Since my Dad is eligible for EV discount, hoping Dealership will allow to take it since he is also the owner.  Again, not sure how registration works in this scenario since both owners reside in different states.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

1 and  3 won't work because the purchaser must buy the vehicle for their own use. at the dealership there will be paperwork for buyers to sign to affirm they qualify for the credit. I guessing but the signing will be under penalties of perjury

2 unsure. the lessor does get the credit. but then the issue arises as to his reporting the lease on his return. FMV rents are being charged and potential other issues. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies