turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated Taxes with underpayment even though overpaid

I pay estimated taxes every year.  My self employment income varies significantly from quarter to quarter.  I pay what Quick Books SE tells me to pay based on my income/expenses and don't use the voucher estimates from the previous year's filing since these amounts fluctuate.  One of four payments was under the amounts listed on the vouchers, while the others were over (sometimes double).  This resulted in my total estimated payments being well over the amount I owed last year, and we are due a small refund this year.  Turbo Tax says I owe $10 for an underpayment penalty.

I assume the one payment that was lower than the 1040-ES payment voucher is what triggered the "underpayment" even though I over paid?  It's not the fee that bothers me, but that I might be doing something wrong.  

Is it worth doing the Annualized Income Method that TurboTax is suggesting (not even sure what that entails)? Or should I just pay the payment voucher amount even though I know it'll be wrong in the end? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Estimated Taxes with underpayment even though overpaid

Yes, if you want to get rid of the penalty, completing the Annualized Income section is the way to do it. 

In the absence of more information, it is assumed your income was earned evenly throughout the year. The Annualized Income calculation uses your actual income by quarter, so it would be more accurate.

If you don't want t be bothered, it doesn't make your return wrong, you are just paying a small penalty that you should not have to pay. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies