Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated Tax with Roth Conversion in the 4th quarter

2020 is my first full year of retirement, so my income was less than in previous years.  I paid quarterly estimated taxes based on that income.  However, in December, I did a Roth conversion which substantially increased my taxable income.  I estimated the tax increase and paid it as a separate payment in early January 2021.  Using Turbotax, I've learned that I owe a small amount of taxes (less than 5% of the total tax due) and it shows a small (less than $100) estimated tax penalty.  The quarterly estimated taxes now reflect this much larger income, so they are significantly higher than if I hadn't done the Roth conversion.

Here are my questions:

1) For 2021 (and beyond), I plan to wait until December to see if another Roth conversion makes sense because there are a lot of unknowns between now and then.  Since a conversion is a possibility, rather than a definite, should I pay the higher quarterly estimated taxes in 2021 or should I do what I did for 2020, and pay estimated tax on the expected retirement income each quarter and only pay the increase if the Roth conversion takes place in the fourth quarter?

2)  I don't understand why I have an underpayment penalty.  I'd prefer to do what makes sense to avoid this. I'm aware of the 2210 form, but it does sound like a lot of work, entering all your income by quarter. 

3)  If I understand correctly, I pay just the tax due (not the penalty) when I file my return.  IRS bills me if it determines that I do owe a penalty.  Is the correct?

I'd appreciate any advice.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies