turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kmruda

Estimated Quarterly Taxes

Hello, I am currently an Indiana resident working for a church as a volunteer who is receiving monthly stipend compensation over two years for participating in a leadership development program. The total amount of funds received at the end of the year comes out to 18,000 roughly and as a  result I receive a 1099-NEC for tax purposes. The only other income I receive is from another part time job where I make less than 40 dollars once a month, not really enough to affect my over all taxes. For that job I receive a W2 back at the end of the year. When I filed my taxes for the previous year I found out that I should have been making quarterly estimated payments for state and federal throughout the year instead of a one time payment. I was charged a penalty fee and I am hoping to avoid these fees this year. How much should one be putting back as a 1099-NEC worker if that is their main source of income? How does making quarterly payments work? How do I know how much to save per estimated payment? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Estimated Quarterly Taxes

First, did you have any expenses that you incurred as a volunteer at the church?  Any equipment that you had to buy, books that you purchased, travel that you had to pay for?  If so you should be deducting any of those expenses from the $18,000 in order to reduce your tax bill.

Second, self employment tax on the money that you have earned is 15%.  You need to be sending in at least 15% of what you're being paid each month (minus any expenses) to cover that.  If that is all the income that you make for the year then 15% comes pretty close to taking care of the tax bill.

@Kmruda 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies