Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estate Fiscal year

I’m using TT business and the fiscal year for the estate is date of death, March 20, 2023 to March 31, 2024. According to IRS instructions the ending date can be the month ending date of the year in question. But TurboTax is forcing the year to beMarch 31 to March 31 how can I override this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Estate Fiscal year

@Patty5045 wrote:

.....TurboTax is forcing the year to be March 31 to March 31 how can I override this? 

You can't override that without an issue.

If you begin your fiscal year on March 20, 2023, then it will generally end on February 29, 2024.

You can use any 12-month period that ends on the last day of the month, however, for a fiscal year except December 31st (which would be a calendar year ending date).

dmertz
Level 15

Estate Fiscal year

As tagteam indicates, an estate's tax year is not permitted to be greater than 12 months.  March 20, 2023 through March 31, 2024 would be greater than 12 months.  An estate that has its first tax year begin on March 20, 2023 can have its end date no later than February 29, 2024 (and must end on the last day of a month).

The deadline to file the Form 1041 for an estate tax year ending on February 29, 2024 is June 17, 2024.  (June 15, 2024 is a Saturday.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies