Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MarsRE
Returning Member

error in smart worksheet for Social Security retirement lump sum alternative taxation calculations

In TurboTax 2018 deluxe with state with all the latest updates available as of this evening (1/17/2019), for a married-filing-jointly return, when the spouse gets a lump sum SS payment for a previous tax year, the smart form for the lump sum alternative taxation calculations does not pull in the Social Security earnings for the taxpayer (from lines 20a and 20b of the previous years' joint return file created by TurboTax).  The smart form appears to pull in the correct entry for the taxable SS retirement paid in the previous year (line 20b on that year's form) but does not pull in the total SS retirement paid (line 20a on that earlier year's form).  Specifically, I am talking about the "Earlier Year Lump Sum SS" smart worksheet in TurboTax 2018; line B near the top does not pull in the total SS paid (showing '0' instead), while line D in the second sub-worksheet ("Earlier Year Tax Return" smart worksheet) does pull in the right amount for the taxable SS paid.  As a result, the review process keeps giving an error message (roughly, 'the entry on line D should be zero.'), one that is not helpful for identifying where the real problem is.

I was able to look up the right numbers from the previous year return and manually enter them in the smart worksheet, after scrolling back and forth several times within the smart worksheets to try to understand overall what entries were need for the calculation, and locating line B as the offending entry.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

error in smart worksheet for Social Security retirement lump sum alternative taxation calculations

This is also a problem in the 2022 TurboTax Desktop version for the Mac.  I have addressed it by manually entering the "Taxpayer" data on Line B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies