Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

remmarg

error in non-taxable income

I struggled this year.

Because of an inheritance we hired a CPA. He told me I didn't need him all i needed to do was exclude it.

The federal matched exactly but the Turbo Tax State included my pension as taxable and the CPA did not. I had no way to mark the pension as non-taxable. So, I wound up entering it as an IRA account. Afterwards the end result matched what the CPA said.

I didn't know how to notify anyone of the error in Turbo Tax. Hopefully someone there will read this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

error in non-taxable income

@remmarg You need to go back through the 1099 R interview.  Was there a 4 in box 7 entered?

TT handles inherited IRA's and pensions fine if you complete all the interview questions appropriately. 

I'm not exactly sure if you rolled the funds or took a distribution.   Were you a spouse?  Inherited IRA's and Pensions . In general, pension and annuity income received by a survivor or beneficiary, whether in the form of periodic payments or in a lump sum, are taxable if they exceed the decedent's previously taxed contributions.

You are not giving enough information as to why it would be non-taxable income.  What type of pension, was there a basis, was there estate taxes paid, who beneficiaries were., was it some type of roth account.....  

Form 1099-R will typically report a "4," in box 7. If a "4" appears, it means you took a distribution from a tax-deferred retirement account and you are exempt from the early distribution penalty as the distributions were made after the original account holder's death.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies