Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grace3

Error for Auto Reg Fees amt -1. I live in a state that doesn’t allow this deduction. Had one in 2015. Can’t enter a zero or blank value for 2016.

In 2015, I had one car. In 2016 when I tried to delete it, I just get error after error and can’t complete my taxes without both a car description and amount. I keep getting sent back to fix the error, and I get notifications in the left bar. I get the software updates every time I start up the app. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KellyG

Error for Auto Reg Fees amt -1. I live in a state that doesn’t allow this deduction. Had one in 2015. Can’t enter a zero or blank value for 2016.

While you are in that section, click the 'Forms' button at the very upper left hand side of the page. For me,

it automatically pulled up the form where the Vehicle Registration fees are. You can manually delete the previous year's amount and clear out anything else on that line that is listed.

When you are done, simply click the 'EasyStep' option, which is at the top left hand side of the page, and it will bring you back to the section you were in. Do not add a numeral at all, leave that portion blank..

you will have to move all the other entries for vehicles up into the now blank entry line.  It appears that Turbo Tax will allow for blank lines below entries, but you cannot have blank lines above entries.  Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KellyG

While you are in that section, click the 'Forms' button at the very upper left hand side of the page. For me,

it automatically pulled up the form where the Vehicle Registration fees are. You can manually delete the previous year's amount and clear out anything else on that line that is listed.

When you are done, simply click the 'EasyStep' option, which is at the top left hand side of the page, and it will bring you back to the section you were in. Do not add a numeral at all, leave that portion blank..

you will have to move all the other entries for vehicles up into the now blank entry line.  It appears that Turbo Tax will allow for blank lines below entries, but you cannot have blank lines above entries.  Hope this helps

TT emailed me on Feb. 20, saying that an update was available to correct this problem.  I've checked for updates but there are none.  I'm still getting the same error.
KellyG

Here is further helpful information on deleting you registration fee.. hope this helps..

If you have a "0" (zero) in the vehicle registration field, please remove it.  In TurboTax, Do not enter "0" (zero), leave it blank.

If this workaround does not correct the issue then here's the general procedure for deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:
1.Open your return in TurboTax.
 (To do this, sign in to TurboTax, and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
2.In the upper right corner, click My Account > Tools.
3.In the pop-up window, select Delete a form.
4.Click Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.

*Important: If the form you want to delete has a worksheet then you must also delete the worksheet first and then you delete the form.

[Edited: 2/9/2017:5:49pm]

Hope this helps!

Was this helpful?

?Yes

?No

Comments (2)?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies