turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxed2D
Returning Member

Erroneous 1099-DIV

I rolled over part of my 401K to a rollover IRA in early 2023.  The rollover of company stocks for that rollover went through a custodian (Computershare) before being deposited into my Rollover IRA account.  The company paid dividends in that short window while the shares were with Computershare.  Computershare in turn mailed me a dividend check for these which I promptly deposited into my Rollover IRA.  Computershare issued me a 1099-DIV for those even though I had notified them and provided documentation that they were rolled over into an IRA.  They acknowledge that the rollover should not be taxed but are unwilling to correct the 1099-DIV and referred me to the Rollover IRA financial institution who in turn referred me back to them!!  How do I correctly report this in Turbotax so it is treated as the non-taxable rollover it was?  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Erroneous 1099-DIV

Did the new custodian know you were doing a 60-day rollover deposit?

The first custodian should give you a 1099-R not a 1099-DIV

@Taxed2D 

Taxed2D
Returning Member

Erroneous 1099-DIV

They did know that I was doing a 60 day deposit into a rollover IRA but insist that either the financial institution for my rollover IRA correct this or I figure out a form to fill out to notify the IRS!

Erroneous 1099-DIV

If you report the 1099-DIV as "nominee distribution" i.e. belonging to someone else,

TurboTax should put a negative amount on Schedule B to cancel the amount.

@Taxed2D 

Taxed2D
Returning Member

Erroneous 1099-DIV

Thank you.  I had tried that but was not sure if it was allowed.  I called the custodian and financial institution again and each referred me to the other again so the option you mention is likely my only path forward.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies