Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering a County of Residence in Virginia for a deceased person.

I am filing for a taxpayer who died in 2023.  TT is forcing me to make a selection for "County of Residence" for 01/01/2024.   He was not alive on 01/01/2024, therefore not a resident of any county.  TT does not let me continue with the Virginia state taxes unless I select a County.  How do I get past this?  I have already listed my address as the mailing address, but I am in a different county than the taxpayer was in 2023.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Enter the county based upon the decedent's last address in 2023 before they passed.  This information will then be used to compute any local sales or use taxes if applicable.  

If you are the authorized representative for the taxpayer, be sure to include a copy of the court certificate showing your appointment per the instructions on page 8 as shown here.

There could also be additional forms that you are required to file as well.  Please see this link for more guidance to ensure you file all of the required forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Enter the county based upon the decedent's last address in 2023 before they passed.  This information will then be used to compute any local sales or use taxes if applicable.  

If you are the authorized representative for the taxpayer, be sure to include a copy of the court certificate showing your appointment per the instructions on page 8 as shown here.

There could also be additional forms that you are required to file as well.  Please see this link for more guidance to ensure you file all of the required forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies