Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering 1099 K from Ebay for Personal Items sold at a loss in turbotax 2022

I have seen some posts on this but would like to know the steps to enter a 1099 K for personal items sold on Ebay during 2022. I received a 1099 K from Ebay Commerce for $3800 for a total of 6 transactions. All of these items were used cell phones that I owned and sold after using for two years (at a loss from cost on all). I am a casual seller and not a hobby or business. We I looked up the IRS guidance on this it says: 

"If you receive a Form 1099-K for a personal item sold at a loss, report the information on Form 1040, Schedule 1, Additional Income and Adjustments to Income with offsetting transactions. For example, if you receive a Form 1099-K for selling your couch online for $700 you will report:

• Part I – Line 8z – Other Income – Form 1099-K Personal Item Sold at a Loss $700
  • Part II – Line 24z – Other Adjustments - Form 1099-K Personal Item Sold at a Loss $700

The net effect of these two adjustments on adjusted gross income would be $0."

No matter how I have entered this into turbotax Deluxe it does not appear this way on my Schedule 1.

Any help / thoughts on how to enter this would be greatly appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Entering 1099 K from Ebay for Personal Items sold at a loss in turbotax 2022

To report the personal item sales correctly into TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Search for 1099-K and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  2. When you get to the Choose which type of income your 1099-K is for screen select Personal item sales and Continue
  3. For box 1a enter the gross amount of your sale
  4. Click Done
  5. Go back to the Wages & Income screen and click Edit for Investments and Savings (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-K, Crypto)
  6. Click Review for the 1099-K you entered and here you can enter the expenses and details for the items you sold
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies