turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JK84
Level 1

Entering 1098-T before 1099-Q and I get the American Opportunity credit...Entering the 1099-Q before 1098-T and I'm not Eligible for the credit

Daughter is a full-time student at a college in another state. I claim her as a dependent on my taxes since I pay for everything. We have a 529 set up...I'm the account owner, she is the beneficiary. All money withdrawn from the 529 goes to tuition and other qualified expenses. The 529 1099-Q is addressed to me and the school's 1098-T is addressed to my daughter. Here's the issue:

If the 1099-Q info is entered before the 1098-T info, TurboTax says I don't qualify for an education tax break. If I enter the 1099-T first, then the 1098-Q, TurboTax adds the American Opportunity credit. In both cases, the data entered is exactly the same.  Reversing the data entry produces different results...it feels like a bug... Not sure how to proceed...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RickH1

Entering 1098-T before 1099-Q and I get the American Opportunity credit...Entering the 1099-Q before 1098-T and I'm not Eligible for the credit

I feel your pain and agree!  Something is not consistent and/or calculated correctly.  I entered the numbers and took the credit.  I'm also having an issue this year with the 529 withdrawal becoming a non-earned income taxable event ... even with tuition payments exceeding that amount. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you enter the 1099-Q FIRST, the program asks for the expenses (1098-T) to be entered and then matches the expenses from the 1098-T to the distribution on the 1099-Q. If there are no additional expenses, there will be no credit generated.

If you enter the 1098-T FIRST, the program will take expenses for an education credit. In this case, it "appears" to the program that there are no expenses to apply to the distribution.  This may result in an Education Credit and taxable distribution. 

If the distribution is treated as taxable, that will need to be claimed by the person that was issued the 1099-Q.

You may also type

letme

into the search-box and click the letme link to see if the program took, and change if needed,  the credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies