turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

julbrain
Returning Member

Enter Cost Basis when blank on 1099-B

On my 1099-B, the Cost Basis for one of my sales is blank.  I have the correct cost basis number to put in, but when I follow the steps below to enter it, it says the sale "needs review" and says that I cannot file until the error is fixed.  I have gone through the steps below several times, but no matter what I do, it is still flagged as "needs review."  Based on other answers to this question, I have tried manually entering the sale, as well as not checking anything instead of the "none of these apply" button on step 7, and I still get the "needs review" error.  

TurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I enter my adjusted cost basis for my grantor trust?

SOLVEDby TurboTax98Updated 1 month ago

For the sales listed on your 1099-B, you may need to enter their adjusted cost basis. To add this information in TurboTax:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return.
  2. Search for 1099-B, and select the Jump to link.
  3. On the Did you have investment income in 2023? screen, select Yes.
    • If you’ve already added some investment info, select Add investments.
  4. On the Let's import your tax info screen, search for your bank and import your forms.
    • If you don’t want to import your info, select Enter a different way, then Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds.
    • Continue until you get to the Now, choose how to enter your sales screen, and select One by one then Continue.
  5. On the Review your sales screen, select the pencil icon next to one of your sales.
    • You may not see this screen if you chose to enter your 1099-B another way.
  6. On the Now, enter one sale on your 1099-B screen, check the box next to The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099-B and select Continue.
  7. On the Let us know if any of these situations apply to this sale screen, check the box next to None of these apply and select Continue.
  8. On the Do you need to adjust your cost basis screen, select Yes, I need to adjust my cost basis and enter the amount.
    • You can find your adjusted cost basis on a supplemental form provided by your financial institution. It’s usually available by mid-February along with Form 1099-B.
  9. Select Continue.
  10. Your adjusted cost basis has been added for your sale. Repeat steps 5-9 for any other sales you need to modify.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Enter Cost Basis when blank on 1099-B

Try removing and re-inputting this specific Form 1099-B.

To remove the form in TurboTax Online:

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the Income & Expenses box, then select Work on other income
  3. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  4. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the Income & Expenses box, then select StartContinue or Pick up where you left off
  5. Select Edit/Add to the right of Investments and Savings (1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-K, Crypto)
  6. Select the dropdown to the right of the specific investment
  7. Select the trashcan, and answer Yes in the verification popup
  8. On the page that generates, select + Add investments
  9. On the following screens, re-enter your Form 1099-B data

See the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter or import a 1099-B? for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies