Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer Education Assistance Program

Hello, my employer has a USC Section 127 educational assistance program. The first part of the program pays up to $3,000 per year for tuition assistance. In this policy, they state that any assistance over $3,000 will be taxed.

The second part of the program is for loan repayment. They give $20,000 split over 4 years in yearly payments of $2,500, $5,000, $5,000, and $7,500. These are paid directly to the loan servicer. In this policy, they also state that any assistance over $3,000 will be taxed.

When I asked why they are not using the federal maximum exclusion of $5,250 (instead of the current $3,000) I got this response:

"The Consolidated Appropriations Act passed at the end of 2020, moved employer-provided student loan repayment plans under the same education assistance tax law as tuition reimbursement. Since the non-taxable tuition reimbursement benefit is limited to $3,000 per year, that in turn becomes the non-taxable limit on the loan repayment benefit."

When I look a the relevant laws I don't see why they can't use the federal maximum exclusion of $5,250 while maintaining the same benefit payments for each program.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Employer Education Assistance Program

Q. Am I missing something?

A. No.  But, I can't quote you "chapter and verse".

It seems you've already done the research. I suggest you take your findings to  your employer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies