Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer didn't withhold my taxes threatening to 1099 me

When I was hired with this employer as an employee I filled out a w4 I always worked under a supervisor and used company tools my employer starter over paying me I asked if he was withholding he said he had a problem with his payroll and was getting it fixed and would pay the with holding himself over the period of ten months he grossly over paid me with several bonuses as he called them he then stated he ran out of money, which was a lie and refused to pay me for two months of work. So I resigned and filed for unemployment they informed me they have no record of my income except for the first two weeks I worked there and approved my claim because of previous work experience. 

Another two months later this employer still refuses to pay me. And threatened to illegally send me a 1099 instead of a w2 when I asked if paid my taxes if I pursued recourse for my lost wages and that he never paid any of my taxes. I immediately reported him to the IRS for tax fraud, threatening to illegaly 1099 me, failure to report income, failure to withhold as I am not an independent contractor and have alot of proof I am not. I also immediately filed a claim with my state labor commissioner for unpaid wages and the business threatening to not pay my taxes if I reported them. 

Is there any other legal recourse I need to take to protect myself from this employer. Can I be held liable for the taxes and can I just use the two months of unpayed wages to pay those taxes if I am. This employer has had about 20 employees over the course of my ten months I still keep in contact with is there anything I should advice them about.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Can I ask what ended up happening? I’m kind of in a similar situation.
Carl
Level 15

THis is not a tax matter at this point. It's a legal matter. You REALLY need to seek the services of a lawyer or other legal counsel in your local jurisdiction. That employer is blatantly breaking the law, and they're probably done so to the point of it being a criminal offence, and not just a civil offense. But I'm not a lawyer. So for now, don't worry about your taxes. Find a lawyer before close of business Friday. If what you're posting here is even halfway accurate, I'd think the lawyers would be scrambling to jump all over this and represent you.

Carl
Level 15

Also, employers are not required to have W-2's or 1099-MISC"s issued until Jan 31st at the latest.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you are responsible for the income tax on that income. You are also responsible for the employee half of FICA (social security & medicare) tax.

Whether you get a 1099 or not, you should report the income. Actually getting the 1099-Misc works to your benefit, as it documents that you were paid. There is a way to essentially report a 1099 like a W-2. See below. Without a 1099, you use your own records to report the income. 

You cannot use the unpaid wages to pay taxes. As far as the IRS is concerned, those wages don't exist. That's a legal matter or a separate matter for the state employment commission.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is not "illegal" for an employer to 1099 you.

But, there is a  way to contest the “employer’s” classification of you as a contract employee. That is to pay your share of the Social security tax on form 8919 .In TurboTax, type> form 8919 with 1099-misc income <in the search box.  After you enter your 1099-Misc, select that you got the 1099-Misc for another reason. Then select "My employer reported this extra money on a 1099-MISC but it should have been reported on a W-2" from the drop down list.

You also have to submit form SS-8 and the IRS will determine whether you or the employer pays the employer portion of the SS tax. You will probably also upset your employer, because the IRS may contact him about whether or not he properly paid wages.

Form SS-8 is not in TT but is here ===>>> http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf
See this IRS site ===>>> http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc762.html

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Assuminhg you get neither a W-2 or 1099-Misc:

If you haven’t received your W-2, follow these four steps:

1. Contact your employer If you have not received your W-2, contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue the W-2.

2. Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 15th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:

• Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number

• Dates of employment

• An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2014. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible. 

3. File your return You still must file your tax return or request an extension to file April 15, 2017, even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you have not received your Form W-2 by the due date, and have completed steps 1 and 2, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified. 

4. File a Form 1040X if you later receive your missing W-2 after you filed your return using Form 4852, and the information may be different from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Reference:
https://www.irs.gov/uac/missing-form-w2-irs-can-help

It is illegal to 1099 someone who is not an independent contractor

I was his payroll I'm obviously not an Independent
Hal_Al
Level 15

It may be obvious, but you have to file form SS-8 to apply to the IRS for a determination.
It may be obvious that you should get a W-2, but if you don't you still nave to report the income.
Your previous reporting of him to the IRS, for tax fraud, does not take care of your problem.
Hal_Al
Level 15

I've added another option to my answer above
Carl
Level 15

Really, all this is a moot point  until the first week of February. The employer is not required to send out W-2's or 1099-'s early, and has until Jan 31st to get it in the mail. So if you have ticked him off, he's probably going to wait until that day to mail yours, meaning you won't get it until Feb 2 or 3, and until that date passes, your complaints are meaningless. .
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies