Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jen821

Election worker

I am in NJ and my husband received a 1099NEC for working as an election poll worker. NJ says we should not be taxed for work as an election worker. I enter the 1099NEC but none of the prompts after seem accurate for type of work. Should this have been issued as a W2? Also, how do I prevent this from automatically being transferred into my state return and being taxed? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Election worker

This income should be on Form 1099 MISC.  Treat it as if a 1099MISC

To enter a 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income in TurboTax:

Note: If your TurboTax navigation looks different from what’s described here, learn more.

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Search, enter 1099-misc and select Jump to 1099-misc.
    • Or go to Wages & Income and select Start next to Form 1099-MISC under Other Common Income.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
    • If you already entered a 1099-MISC, on the 1099-MISC Summary screen select Add Another 1099-MISC.
  4. Enter the info from your form into the corresponding boxes.
    • If you need to enter boxes 4–6 or 8–17, select My form has other info in boxes 1–18 to expand the form.

To enter a 1099-MISC for rental properties and royalties (Schedule E) in TurboTax: Search for rental income and expenses and select the Jump to link.

To enter a 1099-MISC for farm income and farm rental in TurboTax: Search for farm income and select the Jump to link.

Deductions flow from the Federal to the state.  It should automatically be excluded from your NJ return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies