Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Election Out of Qualified Economic Stimulus Property

I completed my return, and when previewing it I noticed that there was an 'Election Out of Qualified Economic Stimulus Property' form at the end. It is regarding the Special Depreciation Allowance Elections under IRC Section 168(k)(7).

When I did my taxes for 2022, I depreciated two items under $2500 under section 179.

Now I am not sure if this 'Election Out of Qualified Economic Stimulus Property' is correct or not. 

Last year I also depreciated some items under section 179, but there was a different form at the end of the return - a 'De Minimis Safe Harbor Election'.

So which election is supposed to be made to go along with my section 179 depreciation, the Election Out of Qualified Economic Stimulus Property or the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election? And how do I find the correct election in turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Election Out of Qualified Economic Stimulus Property

The safe harbor refers to expensing property that costs less than $2,500. The qualified economic stimulus property election refers to taking bonus or section 179 depreciation on property that costs more than $2,500 or for which you choose not to expense under the safe harbor election. So, if you want section 179 or bonus depreciation, you don't want to elect out of qualifed economic stimulus property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies