Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

warmbeers

EIN without business activity

I would like to establish a business checking account and to do so, at least at my bank, they require an EIN.  I have submitted the EIN form to the IRS several weeks ago but have received no indication that they have received it.  (Not surprising relative to my other dealings with the IRS!!). My question is whether I can just use my SS as the EIN for the purpose of the business checking acct. but still have a business name on the account based on a county DBA or if perhaps that might be based on the bank's policies.

Also, if I do establish an EIN but conduct no business for the time being, but do have deposits and transfers to other business entitites in or from a business checking account is there any expectation that I am engaging in commerce and should be filing a return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

EIN without business activity

No, you shouldn't try to use your Social Security number as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). 

Regarding wait times, you can get an EIN in minutes if you file your SS-4 online. Follow this link for more about that. 

When you open your business bank account with your bank, they will expect to see proof of your business name and  EIN in the form of the acceptance letter from the IRS.

Since banks are regulated on the state level, they may have additional requirements. 

Since the purpose of having a business bank account is to separate your business transactions from your personal ones, you shouldn't have any significant transactions before the beginning of your business operations. 

It's normal to deposit some of your personal funds into the business account, and to pay certain start up expenses, but you shouldn't have other transactions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies