Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

efile

Turbo tax REFUSED to efile my return.  I have spent 3 days trying everything, nothing worked.  I finally had to removed some details so it would file.  There is definitely some programing errors in HSA.  This is very frustrating.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

efile

What do you think is wrong with the HSA section? I don't know of anything that would block you from e-filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

efile

I'm helping grandson with his taxes, he can still be claimed on his mother's return.  His employer paid $165 to an HSA account.  It repeatedly, unendingly, asks if it was a self only or family or none.  None of the three options will let it progress.  I have filled in the none column (with is only medicare so I understand, but was desperate), self column was checked at least 6 times, it keeps going from month to month with an error, If I checked family, it was the same - a constant eternal loop of errors.  After three days I finally removed the HSA contribution, which will probably get me in trouble with the IRS, but it did efile then.  This probably is a programming bug.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

efile

No, it is not a bug with TurboTax. IRS regulations say that a dependent can not qualify for an HSA.

From the IRS Publication 969:

Qualifying for an HSA Contribution

To be an eligible individual and qualify for an HSA contribution, you must meet the following requirements.

• You are covered under a high deductible health plan (HDHP), described later, on the first day of the month.
  • You have no other health coverage except what is permitted under Other health coverage, later.
  • You aren’t enrolled in Medicare.
  • You can’t be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2022 tax return.

@stupidstupid1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies