Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Efile Amended Return Rejected - Can't Fix

Hi all,

I had successfully efiled an amended 2022 federal tax return last Saturday ( 24th) and it was accepted.

When cleaning up I had realised I had used an incorrect exchange rate for my foreign income, once recalculated I was due a $13 refund so thought why not and efiled another amended return.

It was immediately rejected:

IND-031-04 - 'PrimaryPriorYearPIN' or 'PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

The problem i have is why i click the "Let's fix my return link" in the email it logs me into turbotax but there is no option to fix. Additionally i can no longer amend my 2022 return, it tells me to download a .tax file and use the desktop version.

Is there a quick way to fix this? is it because my NJ state return is still pending (0 change to the NJ tax liability). If i can't efile can i just leave it be for the sake of $13? refund If i was to print and mail it would cost me more as i live in the UK.

Is the accepted tax return of Saturday still the one in the IRS system, and today's rejected return effectively never existed and i can just leave it be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, leave it be. You cannot file the second amended form until the first one is accepted. 
Also, $13 is a nuisance amount. Either way, whether you owe or IRS owes you, just leave an error like that alone unless they send you a letter requiring you to correct it. We all make errors and that's a small one :-).
Of course, since you were reviewing your work after you filed the amended return, next time reverse that order and finish all your reviewing before you actually file. I like to get things done and it seems so easy in TT it's tempting not to take the time to switch that around. Fortunately my wife makes sure I print out our return and go over it in detail with her before I submit it, saving me many an amended return :-).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, leave it be. You cannot file the second amended form until the first one is accepted. 
Also, $13 is a nuisance amount. Either way, whether you owe or IRS owes you, just leave an error like that alone unless they send you a letter requiring you to correct it. We all make errors and that's a small one :-).
Of course, since you were reviewing your work after you filed the amended return, next time reverse that order and finish all your reviewing before you actually file. I like to get things done and it seems so easy in TT it's tempting not to take the time to switch that around. Fortunately my wife makes sure I print out our return and go over it in detail with her before I submit it, saving me many an amended return :-).

Thank you for the response. It was accepted, albeit two days ago which is why I thought it was strange it was rejected!

I am correct that my "current standing" with the IRS Is my accepted return of Saturday? The rejected return has effectively never reached them?

I live in the UK, I can forgo trying again to claim $13 as it would cost me more to mail!

Not sure of the double post and looks like you can't delete. Sorry!

You are right that rejected returns never reach the IRS, and obviously you know about the postage!

Thanks you’ve put my mind at ease. Uncle Sam can keep my $13 😂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies