turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pwhitmer8

Educational expenses paid from a 529 Distribution but no corresponding 1098-T

We paid roughly $1500 in what I believe are qualified educational expenses - for required books from amazon, for access to homework programs, etc. - for which we have no 1098-Ts from them. Our 1098-Q shows 1500 in gross distributions, with 500 in earnings and 1000 in basis.

Is a 1098-T the only way to get credit for legitimate expenses, so we don't have to pay taxes on the $500 in earnings, as TT seems to be doing when I look at my Schedule 1?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Educational expenses paid from a 529 Distribution but no corresponding 1098-T

Distributions from a 529 plan can be used for several things, including tuition, student fees, books, supplies, and room and board. It can include a laptop (used primarily for school) and even an internet bill. The form 1098-T is not the only source of expenses allowed by the 529 plan.

You can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You just keep the form 1099-Q and your calculation of the expenses covered in your tax records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient read: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies