Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AMC10

Easement Payment Reported on 1099-MISC

I live in California and received a 1099-MISC for an easement on land in Texas where I receive royalties, listed with "Box 1-Rents".  Read somewhere that it should be a 1099-S. Similar posts suggested entering the payment as a negative number in the "Other reportable income" in the Federal section.  I initially didn't do that and the Federal return seemed to automatically consider it as a loss. Am I wrong? Should I go back and report as a negative number?  When I got to the California State return,  it considered it as income. Under the "Here's the income that California handles differently", I went to Miscellaneous > Other Adjustments to Income, typed in 'Easement' and entered the amount received in the Subtraction column. I assume it needs to be entered as a positive number (without the negative symbol) and program with subtract amount. So is that correct for the state?  Or, if I enter as a negative number as described above in the Federal section, will that make the adjustment in the State return so that I don't need to enter it in the "Other Adjustment" section? Just don't want an issue if it doubles the deduction, but want to make sure I get the proper deduction. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies