Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Early IRA Distribution Medical Exception to Tax Penalty

Did I do the correct entries in TT for a medical exception to an early IRA distribution?

I'm 59 years old, in a HDHP, and in 2020 I did a trustee-to-trustee distribution of $8100 from my IRA to my HSA. This was my only HSA contribution for the year. I incorrectly thought that this direct distribution would qualify for the one time IRA to HSA funding distribution (HFD) without incurring a 10% early distribution penalty. When researching further I realized that we are eligible for the medical exception because our medical expanse minus 7.5%xAGI is greater than the maximum allowed HSA funding distribution of $8100.

In TT after I entered my 1099-R data for the IRA distribution, I 1) had to claim I did "other" with the distribution rather than roll it over to another retirement account; 2) then claim I did a personal contribution of $8100 to the HSA; and 3) then claim the medical exception during the 1099-R early distribution questions due to our medical expense amount for 2020.

Did I enter the data correctly in TT to claim this exception? Also, am I still eligible for the one time HSA funding distribution when I turn 59 1/2?

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies