Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-filed Fed Tax, later finished CA tax. I can not efile my state tax. It says I have to efile both. I try to submit the federal again, says I duplicating. Ideas?

I already paid the fee to file for state.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

E-filed Fed Tax, later finished CA tax. I can not efile my state tax. It says I have to efile both. I try to submit the federal again, says I duplicating. Ideas?

Has the Federal efile been accepted?

You can't efile a state return separately until after the Federal return has been accepted.

If it has been accepted, then you need to choose to efile only the state return.

Thank you. When I tried that, it said I need to e-file BOTH federal and state.  It does not seem to recognize that I have already filed my federal taxes.

@taxifromcal  wrote:

Thank you. When I tried that, it said I need to e-file BOTH federal and state.  It does not seem to recognize that I have already filed my federal taxes.

Please verify what product you are using.   Underneath your question it says you are using "Online TurboTax", but are you by any chance using the desktop software (CD/download?) 

If using desktop software, have you manually checked the efile status from within your desktop software?  That might teach TurboTax that you already filed the Federal.   Are you using PC or Mac?    If desktop Windows version, you open the return and check the efile status from the program's top menubar using the FILE heading in top left corner of the TurboTax interface and then in the dropdown choose  "Electronic filing" then "Check electronic filing status."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies