Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

Thank you. It worked.

I ended up using the deduction rather than the credit, it cost me some $, but I did not want to paper file a return with over 100 pages.  I do itemize which made this less painful

I am very disappointed with this years TT software.  Hopefully they will fix the problem that caused those of us with Simplified AMT reporting on form 1116 to be able to file electronically and then I can file a amended return and get my money back!

@Mtnbyke- have you tried filing an amended return already?  Just wondering (ok, desperately hoping) if maybe the issue with Simplified AMT foreign tax credit isn't there on an amendment and Turbotax allows the amendment to be efiled. 

@ABitAnnoyed 

love your name, but I just filed last week. I will wait until I get my sizable refund before attempting to file an amended return.

Makes sense, thanks.

The bad news is that as of April 21 Turbo Tax still rejects the Federal return because form 1116 for a Foreign Tax Credit still needs line 32 to be blank, which it is, so can not file federal or state tax return. At least will save $23 for mailing the state return. Will look for different software next year, Good Bye TurboTax!

Line 32 is the sum of lines 25-31, and each of those lines are from separate Parts III.  That must be one super complicated return to need all of those items! 

Most of us are fortunate in that we only have general passive income from mutual funds and can get our Form 1116 to file by going into our Form 1099-DIVs and making sure in Box 8 that there are no "various" entries:  dates are included and in the mm/dd/yyyy (12/31/2020) format and the two (yes, two) country of origin boxes are marked "RIC".  RIC is for mutual fund dividends from multiple jurisdictions.  Finally, in Box 8, check the box to indicate the dividends are from a mutual fund. When done with the Forms 1099-DIV then do a error check in forms mode to make sure nothing went wonky, then on to the Form 1116 itself to check for the same items and assure no errors.

I posted this three weeks ago and a couple times in between, but for some reason TT is not monitoring this thread and moving the solution to the first page of the thread.  TT web support is supposed to monitor these threads but guess not enough people encounter Form 1116 to rate high enough on the user collective pain threshold.  TT tech support said web related items are not accessible by them nor is there a way for users to contact them.

anna-longman0
Returning Member

I have been filing Canadian Icome for the last  10 years, You donot have an ein and Canada will noy guve you one. They will only supply  this type of informantion to Canadian filers of Canadian forms, They do not wish  for an ein for another country.+ 

If they have changed this policy - let me know. I too have to stumble through. I have Turbo tax account and the expert was very helpfull.

I waited for quite awhile (partly until my spouse had done the quality review) and figured I'd see if I could get by the "can't e-file" message.  I had initially entered RIC etc and still had the message.  Well got to the try a file yesterday.  The message is now gone (there have been an update or two since looking at it)  for me.  I did e-file and have about 24 hours with no rejection.

I have RIC in Part I / line i / column A

"From 1099s" on 1a, the amount in Column A

Part II / line A

a few weeks ago, this had "12/31/2020".  Now it has "1099 taxes"

Both the 1116 and AMT 1116 look the same.  My recollection is that there were a couple differences a couple weeks ago.  So maybe TT has fixed this.

All my foreign tax was from 3 mutual funds from Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard.

Changing the date to “12/31/2020” rather than “various" worked for me also.  Don't know how you found that solution, but thanks

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

There are e-file issues with the Form 1116 in general.  Please sign up for notification here: Form 1116 reject error

Thank You for your patience. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

LinaJ2020,

Your post advises us to mark the best answer by clicking "Mark as Best Answer".  Where is that option?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

See image below.

@Foxbat

My screens only show the thumbs up and reply options.  Mark as Best Answer appears nowhere on the 22 pages of replies on the topic.  Maybe I am not a real person....

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I was told only the original poster can choose that option.  Feel free to give out kudos by clicking on the thumb up if you like.  Thank You for letting me know.

[Edited 4/23/2021 12:57 PM]

@Foxbat

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies