Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johnc1

During 2018, my mother quit claimed her condo to me and my sister and she retained Life Use. She is still alive and living in condo. Is there anything I need to do?

Is there anything I need to do with my 2018 taxes?
Is there anything I can do to limit future tax years' liability whenever the unit is sold?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

During 2018, my mother quit claimed her condo to me and my sister and she retained Life Use. She is still alive and living in condo. Is there anything I need to do?

Your mother gave you and your sister a 'gift' of her condo, so she would report this on her tax return (if she is required to file).

You and your sister can claim the Property Tax and Mortgage Interest on your returns (since you are on the Deed), split however you agree between you.

When you Sell the Property, you and your sister will each report your share of the sale proceeds on your individual returns as a 'Sale of Investment Property'.

Here's more info on that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6799613

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Your mother gave you and your sister a 'gift' of her condo, so she would report this on her tax return (if she is required to file).

You and your sister can claim the Property Tax and Mortgage Interest on your returns (since you are on the Deed), split however you agree between you.

When you Sell the Property, you and your sister will each report your share of the sale proceeds on your individual returns as a 'Sale of Investment Property'.

Here's more info on that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6799613

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies