johnc1

During 2018, my mother quit claimed her condo to me and my sister and she retained Life Use. She is still alive and living in condo. Is there anything I need to do?

Is there anything I need to do with my 2018 taxes?
Is there anything I can do to limit future tax years' liability whenever the unit is sold?

MarilynG

Your mother gave you and your sister a 'gift' of her condo, so she would report this on her tax return (if she is required to file).

You and your sister can claim the Property Tax and Mortgage Interest on your returns (since you are on the Deed), split however you agree between you.

When you Sell the Property, you and your sister will each report your share of the sale proceeds on your individual returns as a 'Sale of Investment Property'.

Here's more info on that:

MarilynG

Here's more info on that:

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing