turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

duplicate forms for 8949 based on selling public traded partnership

I sold some of my interest in a publicly traded partnership this year.  I have the schedule K-1 and the brokerage 1099-B forms.

While entering the schedule K-1 information, I checked the box that I disposed of a portion of my interest in partnership during 2023. After filling on the field for the sale, I ended up with two separate form 8949. One from the brokerage and one from filling out the information via schedule K-1.  How do I correct this because it looks like two separate transactions but it not.

thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2 Replies

if you filled out the sales section in the k-1 using the 1099-B amounts and also entered the 1099-B as part of the brokerage transactions you have doubled up.  The 1099-B is almost certainly incorrect because it does not reflect your proper tax basis. It is computed using the supplemental sales schedule that should have accompanied the K-1. 

the only thing that goes on the Turbotax k-1 sales schedule is any 751 gain reported on the sales schedule. It will also be in box 20AB of the k-1. The 751 amount is entered as both the sales amount and the ordinary income amount. Look closely at that supplemental sales schedule 

Thanks, this helped.

I also used the following in completing my return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-i-report-the-sale-of-mlp-shares-in-turbo-tax-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies