Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WSO
Level 3

Duplicate Entry of State K-1 Info and Location of Passive Carryover Archive

Two questions for STATE real estate LLCs.

I have 3 state K-1s for a real estate LLC with properties in several other states (where I am a non-resident).  I filled in the TT form for each of the state K-1s using step-by-step on the Windows PC version to include the rent gain/loss and passive carryover from the previous year. After completing entry of the three state K-1s and selecting "done with adjustments" TT brings up another page (see pic below) asking me to again input rent from LLCs. I already entered this info in the K-1s so why am I being asked again?  If I do enter it again here, TT will assess that as income that needs to be taxed (rather than deducting it from past passive loss carryovers)

Also, what TT form can I view past year's passive carryover for a state (non-resident).  Unlike the federal TT step-by-step, TT doesn't show me the past passive carryovers as I go through the step-by-step, that I entered in TT (in past years) to review/confirm as it does for federal.  

TT page asking for real estate gain or loss.jpg

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Please check back later. I will page @Mike9241.

please read this thread.

https://www.taxprotalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16043 

in summary it depends on state law. so I can't answer your question. The issue may also be that if there are different PAL C/O's for federal and state, Turbotax may not handle the state ones

I have only Illinois but I could find no separate PAL c/o reporting. 

WSO
Level 3

Thank you. Reading between the lines, I am now more confident TT has an error in its step by step putting in that 2nd place to enter without giving context for when to do so (In my case I should not enter it).  I may have validated this by reviewing the three TT K-1 worksheets I entered and saw there that a portion of my passive loss was used to offset my rental income this year in the K-1 columns B, C, & D.  

WSO
Level 3

My solution for Georgia. Maybe will help others. 

Georgia TT wrongly attributed to fed income to GA. In step by step, I entered the passive real estate loss on the TT page. I then went into GA inc/ret wks, zeroed the various income lines in Col A, and added fed amounts in Col C. In GA Sched 3 had to override the 8A value to equal 8B-8C to eliminate a TT error. (Note: 8B is Georgia income which subtracts GA income adjustments from fed AGI. 8C is the passive real estate loss I entered in the step-by-step) This manual override prevented electronic filing. TT expert concurred with doing this override.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies