Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dual status - Can I choose to be a resident for taxes?

Good day,

I have been physically in the US since December 2020 under the F1 status for a Master. In 2022, I started working full time under the OPT. I then filled a nonresident tax form since I was considered nonresident under the student exception. In 2023, I kept working for the same company, full time under the F1-OPT status until May 2023. I was then rehired as a consultant with a 1099 in May 2023. My status switched from F1 OPT to TN. If I understand correctly, I would be considered a dual status for tax purposes.  Jan-May nonresident and May-Dec resident. However, since all my income was in the US, can I choose to be a resident for the entire year? I know that if I am a dual, I loose the right to many deduction (i.e. standard deduction). Since I do not have personal expenses to deduct, I am heavily penalized and would be taxed very high. I don't have any other income outside the US that I can deduct as well. 

I tried to call the IRS to explain my situation but they told me that they don't have the information and to consult tax experts. I tried to do the nonresident part on Sprintax, but cannot do it since I was more than 183 days in the US and they say I am a resident for tax purposes in 2023.

So as you can read, there is a lot of conflicting information. Please let me know if I can chose to fill my taxes as a resident for the entire year if I am considered dual. 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Dual status - Can I choose to be a resident for taxes?

Pub 519 is used to determine your filing status as resident or nonresident alien. Generally, you're a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes if you:

However, like all things there are exceptions to the rules. An exempt individual can't use the substantial presence test. Nothing you said strikes me  as causing you to be exempt but I prefer you check all the rules. The pub starts with a nice chart of easy questions with links to the right answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies