Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member


I have a job (W-2), I donated money. Do I need to include that in my Tax return? Does that help me?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni


Possibly including the donation would help you. There has been a recent tax law change that allows up to $300 cash donations to be included as a deduction even if you choose the standard deduction. 


TurboTax will help. After entering your job (W-2), go to the Deductions & Credits as usual. Scroll down to the Charitable Donations section and enter your details. Be sure to click Done with tax breaks so that TurboTax calculates whether you should take the standard deduction or itemize. 


If you are taking the standard deduction, then the next screen will specifically ask about donations to include under the new tax law change. 


For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions.

Returning Member


Thank you.

Privacy Settings